Thursday, April 15, 2010

Ceiling: What Were They Thinking?

...back in 1970 [when our house was built].

Our ceiling, is that acoustic stuff, the stuff that flakes when you brush it on accident, the stuff that crumbles when you bounce a tennis ball off of it, the stuff that you cannot paint...seriously.

So I called around on Craigslist and had a couple of guys come take a look at it. Most of the people want about $1500 to remove it and then re-texture and paint it. I then asked how much just to texture, around $500. I figure that removing it and painting it cannot cost $1000 in man hours [at least at my rate of McDonald's Cashier], so I google'd some stuff and watched a ton of YouTube videos and here we are.

Went to Home Depot [Lowe's > by the way, but I was at the mall.], got a spray bottle [do not get this .96 piece of shit, get the 8.64 pesticide sprayer, I swear. I am buying it tomorrow morning cause this one sucks], got a ceiling scraper. $20 dollars later I am off to The Lamsion.

Here is what you need to remove Popcorn Ceiling [other than fcking arms/shoulders of steel]:



Here is a pic of before:


Literally, 1 hour later this is the progress, fml:



I will continue this slavery again tomorrow, hopefully with a full day I can get all 4 bedrooms done. I actaully am considering picking up an "amigo" at Home Depot tomorrow, don't tell my brother. Good night.

4 comments:

  1. i remember those ceilings! you could have just left it as is and save yourself the manual labor. i mean you plan on hanging posters or mirrors on your ceilings?? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about doing that for my place, but it's too late now cuz we're moved in. Looks like it was hard work! Is it really worth it if I've already got all my crap in the rooms?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm, it depends. you gotta move everything out. scrape it and then re texture it. it CAN be a weekend project!

    to scrape a room, I'd say ~2 hrs? to texture, another 2? so I'd say a 2 day job. =)

    let me know if you have any more questions.

    ReplyDelete